Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness

http://www.gcmtechnology.com/
Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, Minnesota USA

The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness shortly known as BWCAW or BWCA is a wilderness area situated within the Superior National Forest in the northeastern part of the US state of Minnesota (United States of America).

The Boundary Waters Canoe Area is a part of the Superior National Forest and covered a vast area about one million acres in size (precisely 1,090,000-acre (4,400 km2)). It is situated on the U.S.- Canada border along 150 miles (240 km). It contains hundreds of lakes and over a thousand canoe passages. Actually, 190,000 acres (770 km2), nearly 20% of the BWCAW’s total area is water. Within the borders of the area are over 1,100 lakes and hundreds of miles of rivers and streams. The remaining 80% of the area is the forest. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness is the largest remaining area of uncut forest in the eastern portion of the United States.

Preservation of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness

The preservation of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness began in the 1900s and culminated in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness Act of 1978. It comes under the administration of the U.S. Forest Service. It is a popular destination for canoeing, hiking, and fishing as it contains a lot of glacial lakes, forests, and streams. It is one of the most visited wildernesses in the United States.

European Exploration and Development

It was first explored by a French explorer “Jacques de Noyon” in 1688. French became the first European known to have traveled through The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness area.
Later, during the 1730s, The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness is was opened for trading, mainly in beaver pelts. Later in the 18th century, the fur trader organized two groups of canoe-paddling voyageurs working for the competing North West and Hudson’s Bay Companies, with a North West Company fort located at the Grand Portage on Lake Superior.

Why visit The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness?

It is one of the most beautiful, untamed, quiet area for a special memorable day of paddling in the USA. People have stopped to swim, canoeing, hiking, and fishing here. You will get here a jewel of a wilderness with easy access and plenty of outfitters for everyone’s needs. It is one of the most beautiful and peaceful places on earth.
Blue skies, blue waters, bright sunrises & warm sunsets. Literally, a must-must visit place to energize yourself and to renew your spirit.

How to go?

Permits are required for day and overnight visitors to The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness. You can check permit availability on 1-877- 550-6777 and make a reservation.

Charges

The charge for an overnight Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness trip between May 1 to Sept 30 is $16 per trip for adults and $8 for youth 0-17.

2 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*